Thursday, September 16, 2010

Book Notes

I never did finish the library's summer read program, but here are some of the books I HAVE finished lately (if I write them down on paper I'll lose track of them):

The Spellmans Strike Again by Lisa Lutz. I've been reading this series from the beginning. The characters are crazy. I like books with crazy people in them. Real life with crazy people isn't quite so charming, but that's another story (the preceding seemingly random comment prompted by hearing the neighbor outside while I'm typing this, and wondering if she's out spraying our lawn with Roundup again, sigh).

Thursday Next: First Among Sequels by Jasper Fforde. I'd been reading this series a while back, and just caught on that there was a new volume ... which was published in 2007, so I'm a little late to be calling it "new". But, anyway. Love this series.

Star Island by Carl Hiaasen. Definitely not his best. Sort of plodding, in a full-of-insane-characters kind of way.

Currently reading:

First Contact by Evan Mandery. Very bizarre, and absolutely enchanting.

Gilgamesh by David Ferry. Well, not really by David Ferry, but his version of the various bits and bobs of the tablets.

And I'm probably some other things that aren't right here in front of me, so I'm not remembering them. If I wander around, find them and finish them, I'll write them down here.

In the meantime, this list is heavily weighted towards fiction involving mentally unstable characters. Is there a message in this trend?

No comments: