Before the Halloween costume sewing, I was working on Simplicity 2689 for Annabeth. She wanted it tunic length. It still needs a hem (you can see pins at the bottom left of this photo where we were figuring out the length). And it needs a belt, since it turned out looking like scrubs. Also, the sleeve length and width is wrong for her, so we need to figure out what to do about that.
But the sewing machine is currently in use with Annabeth's project for sewing class, which is a hot pink skirt. She's having a lot of fun making it, learning a lot. I'd recommend this pattern, Simplicity 2226, for beginners. Occasionally she'll ask me something along the lines of, "The directions say to do XYZ -- should I?" and I'll say, "Nah, that's really not necessary." But those are typically little things that would be handy to do if you haven't grown up around sewing -- things like pinning the interfacing onto the yoke before fusing it, which Annabeth felt very confident doing with this particular fabric and interfacing sans pins.
On the knitting front, a month or so ago I started knitting Uma from Chic Knits patterns. I think my lack of progress is testament to my interest level -- so far I've only made the upper back and part of the upper left front. (It didn't help that I suddenly decided to reread Ender's Game, which is much, much more exciting than a plain cardigan.)
So I decided maybe it was time to find a new project. I logged on Ravelry the other morning to browse for ideas, and ended up finding this video
Lots of other stuff in the works, too -- Girl Scouts Fall Product Sale, plus Silver Award work, figuring out dual-enrollment classes for next semester, refinishing the stairway, auditions for Seussical in a couple of week -- more on all of that later.