Monday, August 25, 2008

100 Species Challenge

1. Strawberry

2. Black-eyed Susan

When I think of Black-eyed Susan I think of the Rudbeckia species. We've planted Black-eyed Susans in various gardens at various houses we've lived in, but these came up volunteer this year:



I was aware that Black-eyed Susans tend to prefer poor soil. I didn't realize until now that another common name for the plant is Poorland Daisy. There are several common names, as a matter of fact, probably because it's such a common wild flower, growing in most of North America.

I had also realized that it's related to Echinacea purpurea, and was vaguely aware that some of the parts can be used the same way. The wikipedia article on Black-eyed Susan (linked above) specifies that the roots are the part used.

What's this 100 Species Challenge about? See post here to find out more; click on the label "100 Species" to see all posts on this subject.

No comments: